Thursday, February 15, 2018

Lent


Again this year I'm doing the Rethink Church Lenten Photo A Day Challenge.    


February 14- Spirit


Yesterday Lucy and I got ashes at the Cheshire Starbucks, where the McCausland site pastor, Matt Fulmer was stationed. She was a little apprehensive about the ashes.  
Matt told her about the significance of the ashes, about our human imperfection, about how much God loves her and is always there for her.  
Lucy lost her apprehension.  She happily accepted prayer and ashes.
And then I asked these two for their picture because in the moments Matt spoke to Lucy and Lucy listened, I felt the Spirit move.


February 15-Water


Unfortunately I have no actual picture from today.  But this picture in some ways represents what I wish I'd taken a picture of.  This morning I had coffee with two women from our church who serve as reading mentors.  They are in the late 50s and early 60s.  We spent an hour and a half sharing stories, laughing, and being together.  They are joy and energy.  Their lives are full and rich and interesting and remind me of what can be.  
This afternoon, I had lunch with Lucy's piano teacher.   She is 8 years younger than me.  We spent an hour and a half sharing stories, laughing and being together.  She has three little boys and is in the midst of big decisions.  Some of the exact same big decisions I found myself working through just about 8 years ago.  She is joy and energy.  Her life is full and rich and interesting and reminds me of what was.  
This was water for my soul.  Being with women who share a lot with me and yet are in different places. 
And this is why the picture of above sums that up.  My 14 year old daughter marching alongside an 81 year old woman.  
Women are amazing!





No comments: