Thursday, July 23, 2009

Lavender and Life








Today we harvested two bunches of lavender at Winding Brook Lavender Estate in Eureka. What a lovely, peaceful place! Along with rows of lavender there is also a small pond, a 100 year old red farmhouse and a small gift shop. The lavender was stunning but as usual Emma and Ellie are what I'll always remember about today. After harvesting the lavender we sat on the lavender shop's screened in porch overlooking the lavender field and enjoyed some lavender infused treats. While there a fairly large group of seniors listened to an informational talk about lavender. Ellie asked why they came in a bus. Without hesitation Emma answered "they always travel like that, in buses together, so when they get out they can help steady each other, they use team work to get around". I was frozen, where had she heard this? I briefly thought maybe I should tell her that they're enjoying their free time and one another's company but thankfully I caught myself and just let it be. Life from the eyes of a 5 year old, so clear, concrete, and matter of fact. And then, the group started to get up and move to have lunch. And guess what, each one held the arm of another as they slowly made their way across the gravel path, using team work to get around.

1 comment:

Kyra said...

How priceless! I need to print that out and show Kay - she will love it! I also want to go to this place, sounds heavenly.