Saturday, January 21, 2017

March



When I heard about the Women's March I knew I wanted to go.  
I wanted to march because I needed to do something. 
  
I wanted to stand up for my girls. 
I wanted to stand up for my brother. 
I wanted to stand up for immigrants.
I wanted to stand up for Muslims.
I wanted to stand up for our planet. 
I wanted to stand up for myself.

Weeks ago, when I asked my older girls if they too wanted to go to the march,  Emma immediately did.  She has such strong feelings about our current situation.  At 13, she's far more informed than many grown Americans.  And so we've looked forward to this day for weeks.  Eleanor was less committed and thought she'd probably not join us.  
 Until last night when she changed her mind. As we drove to Schnucks to get posterboard I asked the girls why they wanted to march.  To the best of my memory here are their answers-

Emma-  There are so many reasons.  But if I choose just one, it has to be that I don't want to worry about being judged on my looks.    I shouldn't have to worry that I'm not pretty enough, that I don't wear makeup, that I don't care about fashion.  I want to be enough by just being who I am.  Boys shouldn't get to tell me how I need to be in order to be successful.  I'm smart and I have a lot of things I want to do.  


Eleanor- Well, that's kind of like mine but kind of not.  Mostly, I just don't want to change for anyone.  If I like fashion, that's ok.  If I like make up, that's ok.  But that's for ME.  I get to be whoever I am and nobody else should tell me that it's not ok.  I'm tired of hearing how girls should be.  How women should be.  We get to choose.  Nobody gets to tell us.  And just be kind.  That's important, too.  Just be really kind.


And so we marched.  
On a beautiful sunny morning.
A morning full of 
love
peace
kindness
delight
happiness
hugs
strength
beauty
friendship
prayer
tears
hope



We rode to the march with friends.  With Hamilton playing, our excitement filled the minivan!



It was emotional.  So many people.  Babies, grandmas, grandpas, brothers, friends.  All marching in the same direction.


We met Tishaura Jones, who is running for St. Louis City Mayor. 



And then Claire McCaskill.  Which was pretty awesome!



The back of Emma's sign.  It says "Dumbledore wouldn't let this happen". 




I loved the girls signs!  All made and designed by themselves.  We all agreed for our next march (because there will be a next march) we need signs with holders!  



I love you, St. Louis!  








No comments: