Tuesday, February 1, 2011

The Big One

It looked like we were in for the biggest storm of recent memory.   Outside, the temperature was bitterly cold with a biting wind,  the inside reading was nearly the same.  Patience was thin, tempers were flared and by 8:30 I was wondering how we'd survive, especially if we really did have a blizzard.  I didn't even want to think about what might happen if we lost electricity.  With a baby who needed a nap, a husband who had to work from home (and he really did have to work darnit) and two kids about to explode I had to think quick.  I scurried around and threw out an idea for turning our house into a weather station, complete with taped hourly reports.  The kids loved the idea and immediately began planning.  I disappeared upstairs to put the baby down and when I returned things were in full swing at Weather Station 123.  With our focus diverted,  I watched the weather inside change.  Moods were lifted and each hour ticked by with such fury that we barely had time to guzzle down our hot coca before it was time to tape the next edition of our weather cast. We carried on for most of the day, several reports were posted and several were not...due to technical difficulties.  At the end of the day I realized we had stopped the big storm from coming.  Oh, maybe not the blizzard that veered a bit more north than was expected, but the one that was brewing right here under our roof.


                    After a long day of reporting the crew let loose with a crazy dance contest.



No comments: