Tuesday, April 28, 2015

Still learning


I didn't notice this extra kid in the van until I got to work this morning.
Boy, did it make me laugh!

I love living with creative people.
They are flexible and curious and present.
They are teaching me to be flexible.
Which is not my natural state.
Oh, how often I forget to stay flexible!
Like today when I was trying to make dinner, listen to Emma explain something very important, and do 4 or 5 other little things.
Lucy and Eleanor were playing outside and Lucy kept coming inside asking me to get her some birdseed for the bird feeder she made for the back yard,
I kept putting her off until she wouldn't take "just a minute" any longer.
I pulled the birdseed down from the top shelf in the laundry room only to find that the bag was wide open.
Five pounds of birdseed poured out covering the laundry room floor, my head and splattering out into the hallway.
I wasn't happy and I didn't feel flexible or easy going or full of joy.
If I had been creative, four year old Lucy I would have laughed.  Called it a rain shower of birdseed.  Danced barefooted in the seed just to see what it felt like.
Those would have been fun things to do.
Instead I yelled and stomped my feet and spent 20 minutes grumbling about spilled birdseed while I vacuumed it up.
Darn!  Missed opportunity.
I'm not there YET.
But
I love living with creative people.
They are flexible and curious and present.
They are teaching me to be flexible.


No comments: