Monday, April 4, 2011

Cookies

The science fair results were announced today and Emma did not win.  We tried to prep her for the burn of defeat.  We told her that winning isn't the point,  that learning and having fun are, you know, all of the required parent material.   She politely listened, then launched into how exciting the regional science fair would be.  Today's fall was hard.   Her voice quivered and tears welled in her eyes as she told us.  My heart broke for her.  There wasn't much to say, I told her how proud I was of her and that there's always next year.  I picked her up and she protested.  I held on tight and she squeezed back.  "I just feel sad" she whispered.  "Me too" I said back.   We walked into the kitchen where a big plate of M&M cookies waited. She ate one, then two and giggled as I let her have one more.  As I write this I can hear her in the living room with her sisters laughing (hopped up on sugar no doubt) and having fun.  Today I'm thankful that for now our biggest heartaches can still be solved with cookies.

No comments: