Thursday, February 21, 2013

They want more....

snow and snow days, that is.  Mid afternoon they started asking if I thought, maybe, just maybe school would be cancelled again tomorrow.  I don't think it's going to happen but secretly I'm hoping for that call too.  It was a fantastic day until about 3:30 when a little bit of the bickering sisters syndrome hit but all in all I cannot complain.  We cooked, and danced, they built a city with things from the recycling bin.  They built with Legos, and even played outside for a little while.  Now everyone is upstairs in the tub getting ready for a good night's sleep.

For lunch I made fish sandwiches and homemade fries.  Kevin was home working and we had a friend from next door over so it was a full house, so fun!

Oven "Fried" Fish Fillets
From: Mark Bittman's How to Cook Everything

About 1and a half pounds this fish fillets ( I used cod, I'd thawed too much for last night's dinner so it worked out great)
1 and a half cups plain yogurt
Bread crumbs ( I didn't have any so I used some crushed crackers and cornmeal)
Salt and black pepper
3 tablespoons olive oil

-Soak fillet in yogurt while you heat oven to 450.  Put the bread crumbs on a plate and season with salt and pepper.
-Once the oven is hot, pull the fish from the yogurt and let it drain a bit.  Dredge the fish in the bread crumbs, patting them to make sure they stick.  Drizzle a little bit of olive oil over the bottom of a 9x13 inch baking pan, then lay the fillets in the pan.  Drizzle with remaining oil.
-Bake near the top of the oven for 8-15 minutes (mine takes at least 15 minutes, but our oven cooks on the slow side).

Serve with toasted bun.  Add cheese, tartar sauce and/or ketchup (if you are my children).

This was a first time for these fries. Yum!  Why had I never thought to use parchment paper?  Our fries always stuck to the foil before.  I'll use a little less oil next time but otherwise keep things the same.

Tonight we had potato soup and rolls.  I make a half batch of rolls.  They are so easy and delicious.  The only thing is you do need to be around for most of the afternoon since they rise 3 times.  Pretty easy on a snow day!  Also, I bake them on a cookie sheet, not touching and they turn out perfectly.

They also discovered how superior whipped cream is to marshmallows.



No comments: