Tuesday, October 1, 2013

October 1

October is here!  I think it's my favorite month, if not my favorite at least in the top three.  I love the weather, the activity, the trees and the anticipation of the months to come.

Yesterday was the 4th anniversary of losing our Gussy boy.  I still miss him and I still don't want another dog.  In a little nod to our favorite dog, this morning Lucy and I were in South City so we decided to go by Gus' and pick up some pretzels.  It made for a very happy morning. Even though she never met him here on Earth I'm fairly certain that Lucy and Gus had a few great months up in Heaven together before he sent her down to us.



I can't imagine the work of taking care of an animal right now, I feel like I'm at a good spot in my whole taking care of things act.  But honestly, the real reason I don't want another dog (and I'm not at all sure I ever do again) is this..........

If you have a dog, you will most likely outlive it; to get a dog is to open yourself to profound joy and, prospectively, to equally profound sadness.
Marjorie Garber


1 comment:

Grandpa...Bill said...

Sometimes I just look a Lucy and break into a long smile .. There she is in front of Gus's standing straight and confident being her own girl.

Early in their marriage, mom and dad had a dog. This dog was not around as I grew up but we always knew that he was very special to her. Later , we had another dog (lassie) who was my costant companion. Mom cared for lassie, but didn't seem to love her like I did.

Now , maybe I understand why ...lassie was not mom's black curly haired dog I remember from those old photos.