Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Snow judgement


It's another beautiful morning in St. Louis.  This shot from my front porch doesn't capture the blowing, twirling snowflakes but they are picture perfect....if only the photographer knew how to take a photo of such details.  I love winter and snow.   I'm not counting the days until spring and I'll take as many more days of this as Mother Nature wants to give us.  I know that this is not how many people feel about waking up to another day of snow and certainly not to another snow day (we're 1 of maybe 2 public school districts actually going to school today).

Something I'm working on in the new year is being mindful of my judgement of others.  I've always thought I was pretty good at this but still judgmental thoughts creep into my head.  When I read the Pope's ideas for New Year's Resolutions I really appreciated what he had to say about judgement.....

Stop judging others. 
In the same way he denounces gossip, Francis condemns prejudice.
He reminds “intolerant” Catholics, for one, to respect atheists. “If we, each doing our own part, if we do good to others, if we meet there, doing good, and we go slowly, gently, little by little, we will make that culture of encounter: we need that so much. We must meet one another doing good.” 
He also says of gays: “If someone is gay and seeks the Lord with good will, who am I to judge?” 
Francis urges us “to keep watch over ourselves.” “Let us not forget that hatred, envy, and pride defile our lives!” 
Though it's simple and seems harmless enough my rolling eyes and snide internal comments about FB posts about having to stay home with kids on another snow day are indeed just what the Pope cautions us against.  There's no love or understanding in that.  My judgement is of no help....my love, my understanding my prayers, that's what's needed.  
So I will remember today as I enjoy this snow that my kids are going to school.  I don't know what it's like to be on our  6th snow day since January 6!  That's what many families in St. Louis are having today....plus yesterday was a holiday and many schools had Friday off for a teacher work day.  That's a whole lot of time for kids to be home, for many parents to have to arrange alternative childcare and for stress to build.  Might there be a few frustrated parents?  Yes.  Can I understand why?  Absolutely.  Need I judge?  Nope.  Pray?  You bet.  


No comments: