Wednesday, March 27, 2019

7 more!

14- Birds

I love that I can hear the birds singing in the morning when I wake up!  They are a sign that Spring is coming and that sounds wonderful to me.  One of my favorite things about where we live is getting to experience 4 seasons every year.  I'm almost always ready to move into the next season when it's time.

15- Dark chocolate

It's funny how tastes change.  I've always liked chocolate  but I'm finding that I'm really grateful for dark chocolate lately :).  Not so much candy bars, in fact those mostly don't interest me. Just a little plain dark chocolate.  Sometimes I wonder who I am.


16- Wondering who I am.

Dark chocolate and other small things lead me to my 16th thing to be thankful for.  Oh sure, mostly I am the same year after year.  But every so often I realize I've changed.   Not good or bad or really any judgement whatsoever, just changed.  It feels good to know that I'm growing into whoever it is I'm meant to be.

17-Apple Car Play.

What a great invention.  It allows you to plug your phone into the radio and access Apps.  Easily.  Like so easy that a low tech person like me can't mess it up.  It's wonderful.

18- Text messages

I remember when I first heard about texting.  I really thought it was dumb.  I'm a slow adopter.  Very slow.  Would rather not adopt in most cases. But the thing about us slow adopters is, once we're convinced we're with you, we're not looking for the next shiny thing.  You really have us!  Anyway, I could see absolutely no reason why texting would ever serve a purpose for me.  Fast forward many years and now I LOVE it.  I talk to my kids multiple times a day via text.  Funny videos, hilarious memes, and just general awesomeness!  I love that I can quickly catch up with friends and family and  even get reminders for orthodontist appointments!

As I wrote #18 this text came in-
๐Ÿจ๐Ÿถ๐Ÿฎ๐Ÿป๐Ÿฆ๐ŸฆŠ๐Ÿฑ๐Ÿญ๐Ÿฐ๐Ÿน๐Ÿฏ๐Ÿธ๐Ÿท๐Ÿต๐Ÿฃ YAY!

Who doesn't want this message from their favorite 8 year old?!

19- Pushing past comfort.

I read this on Instagram right before the plane took off on Monday for a conference in Houston I attended and it was exactly what I needed read. 


 Another time I will write about all of the things that led to me traveling to this conference but trust me, it was meant to be.  However, every bit of this was out of my comfort zone.  From the moment I got into the Uber at 4:15 on Monday morning, until the moment I returned the rental car an hour ago.   A few of the things that were out of my comfort zone:


  • Checked myself in for a flight .  I usually fly as a family group where someone in the group checks us all in.   Checking myself  in resulted in me boarding in the C group for both flights.    Thankfully one thing I have going for me is the fact that I am not a nervous traveler.  I'm not worried about being early, I'm not worried about being late. I'm not worried about being in A and I'm not worried about being in C.  And yes, I had to sit between two people on the flight to Houston and I suspect the return will be the same.  Somebody's got to do it!  Another thing I have going for me is being 5'4".  I don't take up a lot of space.
  • Rented a rental car.  Ok, it was more the picking it up and driving it.  I did fine!  They rented me a little car that had Apple Car Play so I plugged my phone in and away I went.  Not a single problem.  I even had to drive in Houston traffic out to the suburbs about an hour away.  
  • Stayed in a hotel all by myself.  I'm 43 and I've never done this.  Two summers ago Lucy and I drove to Wisconsin to pick up the older girls from camp.  We spent two nights alone in a hotel as we made the drive and as silly as it sounds, I felt different after that trip.  This stay had less of an impact.  Mostly, I felt just like me. For instance, I forgot my key every single time I left the room.  Went to work out, had to get a new key.  Went to breakfast, had to get a new key.  Came back from a day at the conference, had to get a new key.   I did thoroughly enjoy two nights with absolutely no responsibility though!  I stopped both nights after the conference and picked up a salad and some fruit for dinner.  And then I got in bed at 6:45 and watched reruns of Everybody Loves Raymond until I feel asleep around 9.  Left to my own devices this is the exciting life I live.
20-Home-

I am at the airport and heading home and I cannot wait!  Can't wait for all of it.  The work, the complaints, the laundry, the smiles, the hugs, the mess. I love my home and the people who make it my favorite place!








No comments: