Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Confessions of a sleep deprived mother

When Emma was in preschool I knew a sweet mom of 4 who was early to pick up every day and napped in her van right outside of the school.  2 of the 4 kids snoozing right along with her.  She said between dropping off and picking up kids it was just easier that way.  Fast forward two years...I'm so incredibly sleep deprived that this way of thinking makes complete sense.
Sleeping in small blocks of time for more than a few days makes the brain a little fuzzy.  Sleeping this way for months makes you feel like you can't quite comprehend the world around you.  I've fully entered into the latter.   Take for instance the day we were out of coffee.  I stopped at Starbucks.  I ordered a latte as well as a pound to take home.  The barista asked me if I wanted the coffee whole bean or ground.  Totally perplexed I said "I didn't think you could make it unless you ground the beans" thinking he was asking me if he should grind the beans before making my latte.  There was the day I forgot to open the van door for Ellie and then drove off (ok, just to the edge of the driveway) without her.  I've developed a terrible habit of wearing two pairs of sunglasses, one on my face, one on top of my head.  All of this I blame on my extreme sleep deprivation.  Today though, today, takes the cake.  Clayton Schools have a once a month late start day, a day where schools start an hour late in order for teachers to participate in staff development.  I write these dates on the calendar, just like every other parent, lest I ever forget.  Well, guess what?  I forgot that today was a late start day and I brought Emma to school at 8:30, not 9:30.  We said our good byes and I pulled away.   I got about 3 minutes down the road and it hit me...I just dropped my little girl off an hour early at school.  OH MY GOSH I'M THAT PARENT, that nutty parent that can't even keep her calendar straight!  So, if you see me sleeping outside of school in my van, let me be, it just might be easier that way.

         She's cute when she sleeps, isn't she?  Too bad she can't log a few more hours every night!

No comments: