Tuesday, June 3, 2014

This Summer

This summer I've chosen a motto to live by...

"Treasure the doing a little more and the getting done a little less."

It's paraphrased from the Anna Quindlen piece Good Bye, Dr. Spock.  Which if you haven't read, you should.  By the way, Anna Quindlen's blog happens to be down right now, which is why I've not directly linked to the piece.  I know nothing at all about the blog which I linked to, in which the piece is also posted.  Just an FYI in case that blog includes some terrible advice or something!

I've typed this message up and have it hanging right above my desk.  In the short week I've had it there I've reminded myself of those words over and over again.  Eleanor has even memorized it.  I can literally feel the words slow me down, and focus my attention.  Pretty much everything can wait. It's summer.



This picture is just beyond fantastic.  8:30 am, Monday morning.  Lucy has Teddy tied to an ottoman, which she carried from the living room, while she's happily washing her car.  She'd already been chasing bunnies around our yard, trying to catch them with that white basket behind Teddy.  This is one of Lucy's biggest goals in life, to catch a bunny.  She will stop at nothing and is not above using trickery and carrots.  Someday I will catch her in action and will  record it for you because it will be one of the best things you've ever seen.  

The Doing.  

No comments: