Monday, November 4, 2013

November 4: My Core Group

Our church has 5 shared practices.  They are the practice of community (worship), the practice of giving, the practice of service to the poor, the practice of prayer, and the practice of learning in community (Core Groups).  For the past 3 years Kevin and I were part of an amazing Core Group, where we gained some terrific friends and grew in our faith in a way that we'd never have done on our own.  The group met on Monday nights and it was unfortunately becoming harder and harder for Kevin and me to both be gone on the same evening.  We hated to make the decision but this summer we knew that it was time to find new groups.   I was less than excited.  I believe in our church's shared practices, otherwise I probably would have taken a break and vowed to find a new core group sometime in the future.   We'd made such close connections with our old group, our conversations were meaningful and safe and I couldn't imagine another group being anywhere near the same.  So a bit begrudgingly I found a Monday morning stay at home mom's group and signed up for it, thinking it would be a struggle every week to make myself go…..there are so many other things I could do with that time while Lucy is at PEEPS!   Guess what?  I've not even once had to convince myself to go.  From our first meeting our group worked.    These women, every single one, are unbelievable.  I'm not using hyperbole, they really are amazing.  I don't mean that in a pinteresty," you can't believe all the things these people do" way.  What I mean is so much more.  They are honest, faithful, thought provoking, challenging, accepting, loving, smart, funny women who I am blessed to spend my Monday mornings with.  I am thankful to have them in my life.


 The above passage was used in this week's sermon.  I listened the sermon this morning while I was on the treadmill and if you have 25 minutes to spare I encourage you to listen too.  It's the culminating sermon in a series and though probably most impactful after listening to the others (and wrestling with the messages) I still think much can be gained from just listening to this one.

No comments: